Yummy dehydrated mangoes – delicious

Posted on July 1st, 2009
Yummy Dehydrated Mangoes

Yummy Dehydrated Mangoes

One of my favorite fruits is the mango, especially ripe juicy ones. One problem I have though is that often times I can be lazy and not want to mess with deseeding a mango just to eat a snack. I also frequently crave these when on climbing trips, but they are often quite messy and would certainly be a pain to deseed while out on the trail or even while car camping for that matter. So I decided to dehydrate this tasty fruit after tasting a store bought version.  Mine of course are cheaper, taste better and have zero preservatives or artificial ingredients. I would most definitely say this is the beef jerky of fruit. Anyway, without further or do here are the directions on how to dehydrate mangoes.

Three Ripe and Juicy Mangoes

Three Ripe and Juicy Mangoes

First grab two to three ripe juicy mangoes.
Step two, deseed those bad boys. See Image below.

Deseeded Mangoes

Deseeded Mangoes

To deseed a mango hold the mango vertically and find the “knot” at the top of the mango. Take your knife and move a bit to the side and then slice all the way down. You may have to maneuver around the seed a bit as they are never exactly in the middle. After this, repeat on the other side. Also, it will be worth your time to remove excess mango flesh from the seed to throw into the dehydrator with your slices. No need to waste.

Skinning the mangoe

Skinning the mangoe

Third, skin the mango. You will notice from the picture I skinned the mango after deseeding. I have since discovered it is much easier to skin the mangoe FIRST, then deseed. However, if you wish to leave some skin on your dehydrated mangoes you will want to skin them after you deseed. In this case I was leaving the skin on several of them so this would be the best method. Although the skins are harder to eat, especially dehydrated, they contain lots of nutrients.

mangoe04

After skinning the mango, cut into evenly sized slices and line them on a mesh dehydrator sheet. I believe one mango makes about a tray of evenly spaced mango slices if using the Nine tray Excalibur Food Dehydrator.

mangoe05

Sliced mangoes lined on dehydrator sheets.

After placing the mangoes on the dehydrator trays, insert them into the dehydrator and dehydrate at 115 degrees for about 24 hours.

The finished product will have a nice leathery texture but still have somewhat of a moist feel to them. You don’t want to turn these into chips, so be careful not to dehydrate for too long. I also recommend about 1/4 inche slices, but feel free to experiment and find out what you like best. But remember the thicker the slice the longer you will have to dehydrate.

For those that don’t have a food dehydrator I highly recommend the investment, especially if you are the outdoors type and spend lots of money on things like granola, nuts, seeds and things like Power Bars and Cliff Bars. With these bad boys you can make your own homemade version for a fraction of the cost, and you have fun doing it in the process. It’s also much more gratifying to eat something you made yourself.

They dehydrator I used and recommend is the Excalibur. They have a 4, 5 and 9 tray model. I rarely use all 9 trays, but when I do need that extra space I am glad I have it. The size of the trays also are different on each model, so that is something else to consider as well when looking to purchase a dehydrator. I would also suggest staying away from the circular dehydrators that are stacked. The downside to these is your drying temperatures are not even at each level, you have to rotate your trays throughout drying times. With the Excalibur you get consistent drying temperatures on every tray.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about dehydrators or anything else I post about for that matter.

Peace…

14 Responses to “Yummy dehydrated mangoes – delicious”

1. Matt says:

Thanks Caleb, makes me want to get a dehydrator! My dad makes beef jerky all the time and does it with some sort of DIY homemade contraption with a fan and some sort of air filter. But I’ll leave that to him.

I got a copy of Brendan Brazier’s Thrive and it’s piqued my interest in raw food, so I think a real dehydrator is in my future. These mango chips look great!

2. climbdfw says:

have you checked out the mineral wells topo I re-did? i’m looking for any suggestions or improvements.

3. Alexi says:

What a coincidence: I recently wrote about the OXO mango slicer for making dehydrated mango chips.

Interesting idea to eat the mango skins. I’ll try that next time I dry mangoes.

(I also use the Excalibur. Great choice.)

4. Caleb (admin) says:

I think the mango splitters would be pretty useless most of the time seeing as how seeds are always different sizes and are never exactly in the middle of the mango. It’s nice in theory, but would probably only work half the time, if that.

5. Rae says:

Good point on fruit skins. They can contain a fair amount of nutrients and add texture to the dehydrated product. Good pictures and totally agree on recommending a dehydrator investment. Best.

6. These are beautiful, and the photos showcase your talent as a photographer!

7. Caleb (admin) says:

Thanks Gena! And thanks for checking out the blog too!

8. Drew says:

Thanks for this post! We’re taking a 2-week climbing trip to CO & NM in a couple of weeks and are furiously dehydrating snacks for the crag. A friend gave us some pre-packaged dehydrated mango slices last weekend at RRG, good but too sugary and processed. Four mangos in hand, not sure if we needed to pre-treat them; your post’s timing was quite fortuitous! Thanks!

9. Caleb (admin) says:

Drew, you will definitely like these I do believe. The dehydration brings out the NATURAL sugars in the fruit, so they still taste sweet, but they are totally raw, healthy and unprocessed. There is nothing better, and on top of that it’s cheaper than buying the pre-packaged garbage. I’m taking a trip to Colorado myself for a week at the beginning of august. So I will be drying up lots more myself. Oh, and I recommend NOT drying with the skins on. They aren’t bad, just slightly harder to eat.

10. [...] me seconds to peel one mango as opposed to minutes with a standard potato peeler. This will make dehydrating mangoes way easier [...]

11. ChefMoji says:

Thanks for a great posting. I just bought a dozen organic mangoes so I can dehydrate them and your info is clear with great pics.

12. Helle says:

Thanks! I have just bought a box of mangoes because I want to have a healthy snack to help me get off chocolate and cookies : )

13. Erica Harris says:

Hi Caleb,

Great post! I too have an excalibur. If I wanted to make these into say a powder for smoothies do you suggest pureeing first then grinding down the hardened leather? I did this and the powder came out more paste like with too much moisture. I dried it at the 135 for fruits but I was thinking of going up to jerky to really get the moisture out.

I would love for you to weigh in.

14. OrganicClimber says:

Erica, good luck with that. I think it’s going to be very hard to doo. We use dried mangos in our organic energy bars and use an industrial mixer and they don’t come close to getting ground into a powder. You would need some serious equipment to make that happen. I don’t know how it can be done with home equipment.